To polish your football helmet, you can use spray wax to remove dust and bring back its shine. There are various brands and types of spray wax available for this purpose.
Additionally, you can use car wax, polish, or lemon pledge for a good shine. However, before polishing, make sure to remove the pads and clean the shell of the helmet with water.
By following these steps, you can effectively polish your football helmet and have it looking as good as new for your next game. For more, scroll down.
How to Polish Your Football Helmet?
Materials You’ll Need
- Mild soap or helmet cleaner
- Soft cloth or sponge
- Metal or plastic polish (depending on your helmet’s material)
- Soft polishing cloth or microfiber cloth
- Toothbrush or small brush
- Helmet decals or stickers (optional)
- Safety First: Ensure you work in a well-ventilated area and use protective gloves and eyewear if necessary. Make sure the helmet is clean of any dirt or debris that may scratch the surface during the polishing process.
- Clean the Helmet:
- Remove any loose dirt or debris from the helmet’s surface.
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add a small amount of mild soap or a specialized helmet cleaner.
- Soak a soft cloth or sponge in the soapy water, and gently wipe down the entire helmet, including the facemask and chinstrap. Pay special attention to any areas with heavy dirt or residue.
- Use a toothbrush or small brush to clean hard-to-reach areas and crevices.
- Rinse the helmet thoroughly with clean water to remove all soap residue.
- Dry the Helmet: Use a clean, dry cloth to pat the helmet dry. Make sure there’s no water remaining on the surface.
- Choose the Right Polish: Determine whether your helmet is made of metal or plastic. Purchase a metal or plastic polish that is appropriate for your helmet’s material.
- Apply the Polish:
- Follow the instructions on the polish container.
- Apply a small amount of polish to a soft polishing cloth or a microfiber cloth. Be cautious not to use abrasive materials that could scratch the helmet.
- Gently rub the polish onto the helmet’s surface in small, circular motions. Focus on one section at a time.
- Polish the Facemask and Other Components: If your helmet has a metal facemask or other metal components, apply the appropriate metal polish to them as well. Polish them in the same manner as the helmet shell.
- Buff and Shine:
- After applying the polish, use a clean part of the cloth to buff the helmet’s surface until it shines.
- Continue this process until you’ve covered the entire helmet, facemask, and other components.
- Apply Helmet Decals (Optional): If you have helmet decals or stickers that need to be reapplied, make sure the helmet is completely dry and clean, then follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application.
- Inspect and Repeat (if necessary): Examine the helmet for any remaining dull or tarnished spots. If needed, reapply polish to these areas and buff until the helmet is uniformly shiny.
- Store the Helmet: Once you’re satisfied with the shine, store your football helmet in a clean and dry place to avoid any potential damage or dirt buildup.
Regular maintenance, including cleaning and polishing, can help keep your football helmet looking good and ensure it continues to provide the necessary protection on the field.
How Do You Get Scratches Out Of A Football Helmet?
To remove scratches from a football helmet, you have several options. Here are some effective methods:
- Toothpaste: Apply toothpaste to a clean cloth and rub it onto the scratched area in a circular motion. The abrasive properties of toothpaste help to buff out the scratches. Rinse off the helmet and dry it thoroughly.
- Baking Soda Paste: Mix baking soda with a small amount of water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the scratched area and gently rub it in. Rinse off the helmet and dry it completely.
- Sandpaper: For deeper scratches, you can use fine-grit sandpaper. Start with a low grit, such as 400, and gradually work your way up to a higher grit, such as 2000. Sand the scratched area in a gentle, circular motion. Be sure to keep the helmet wet with water to prevent damage. Once the scratches are smoothed out, rinse off the helmet and dry it thoroughly.
- Helmet Polish: There are specific polishes available in the market that are designed to remove scratches from football helmets. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for the best results.
Remember, always test any method on a small, inconspicuous area of the helmet before applying it to the entire surface. Additionally, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take proper safety precautions when working with abrasives or chemicals.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Polish Football Helmet?
How Do I Make My Football Helmet Shiny Again?
Can You Wax A Football Helmet?
Clean the helmet shell with a degreaser or enamel reducer for better results.
How Often Should I Polish My Football Helmet?
How Do Nfl Players Clean Their Helmets?
To have your football helmet looking shiny and clean for the big game, follow these simple steps. First, remove the pads and spray the entire helmet down with a hose. Then, reach for a polish that is used for cars and apply it to the helmet with a soft cloth.
One option for a quick shine is to use spray wax. Another recommendation is to use a microfiber or soft cloth with warm water and gentle dish soap to clean the chin strap and helmet shell inside and out. Finally, buff, polish, and sand the helmet to create a smooth exterior surface.
Taking the time to properly clean and polish your football helmet will ensure it looks pristine and ready for action.